Applying for the ALGANT Master Programme
You can now apply for the ALGANT Master Program 2017-2019! The application deadline is 31 January 2017, time 23h59 (CET)
Students that want to apply for the ALGANT Master Programme have to complete the application form. Below is a list of documents that are required in addition to the form.
The ideal candidate must possess an academic degree from a program in mathematics lasting a minimum of three years (Bachelor). A thorough proficiency in English is required. For each student a program will be tailored individually, but every student will have to go through two hosting institutions of the consortium.Applicants should:
- have completed a Bachelor of science degree in Mathematics or equivalent with a special focus on Algebra, Geometry and Number Theory, with good results;
- have a thorough proficiency in written and spoken English.
Scholarships and tuition fees
The tuition fee for the ALGANT Master programme is €4000,- a year. The ALGANT consortium offers different kind of scholarships based on academic merit.
Students that need help to cover the tuition fees, can apply for the ALGANT Excellence Scholarship programme (ALExS).
Students in the ALGANT Master Programme, study in, at least, 2 partner Universities, in 2 different countries. In the application form, you can indicate your preferred mobility path and whether you are flexible with your mobility. Please note that some scholarships impose mobility restrictions, the consortium might offer you a scholarship based on a particular mobility path.
Applicants must register at the application website, fill in the application form and upload the following required documents:
- scanned copies of all academic records of all courses taken at every institute of higher education attended, with a translation in English, French, German, Italian or Dutch;
- a copy of the highest degree obtained, stating credits, grades and workload;
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- a personal letter of motivation explaining the student's interest in the ALGANT Master Course in particular and mathematics in general;
- any other documents characterizing applicant's credentials, like research memoirs, mathematical competitions diplomas, etc.
In the application form the applicant should indicate e-mail addresses of at least one, preferably two academic staff members, who will be contacted by us for reference letters.
Proof of a thorough proficiency in written and spoken English, which can be a internationally recognized English language test, or proof of a english taught Bachelor programme. The consortium will decide whether your proof of English proficiency is sufficient. Leiden University requires an IELTS score of 6.5 or TOEFL of 90.(only for non-native English speakers; students from China should submit an Academic IELTS score).
In individual cases the consortium’s commission will decide whether any exceptional circumstances, compensations or alternatives should allow for deviation from the admission criteria above, or for the absence of some of the documents required.
The consortium’s commission reviews all applications to the ALGANT course, and selects those applicants to whom scholarships will be offered, based on academic merit, motivation, recommendations and chances of success in the program. The selection process takes place early enough to allow for notification of final decision at least four months before courses start. Admission is final only when students have obtained the necessary visas, permits and insurance policies (the consortium will help with these procedures).